DOT & Non-DOT Physicals
Reliable Solutions for Employees, Employers, and Individuals
Whether it’s for the Department of Transportation job or another type of industry, physical exams evaluate a driver’s medical history, vision, hearing, blood pressure, respiratory system, and physical attributes. When you need a physical for employment you can rely on the team at Fastest Labs to provide you with the quality exam and testing services you need. At Fastest Labs, you can rest assured knowing that our testing services are always quick and accurate.
“Safety-sensitive" employees are labeled by the DOT, whose job can impact both their own safety, as well as the safety of the public. This includes jobs that include professional drivers who operate commercial vehicles of five tons or more. Using a combination of tests, DOT physicals follow strict guidelines mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA, ensuring that commercial drivers and other safety-sensitive employees are in good health to work safely and perform the essential job functions.
The DOT physical is comprised of tests and measurements of several things including:
- Blood Pressure and Pulse Rate – The employee or applicant’s blood pressure and pulse will be examined and recorded to look for high blood pressure and irregular heartbeats.
- Urinalysis – A urinalysis is a test that takes a urine sample to look for indications of underlying medical conditions such as diabetes.
- Vision Test – Drivers are required to have at least 20/40 acuity in each eye with or without correction. They are also required to have at least 70” peripheral in the horizontal meridian, measured in each eye.
- Hearing Test – Drivers must be able to perceive what is known as a “forced whisper” at a distance of 5ft or less, with or without a hearing aid. This standard equates to an average hearing loss in the better ear of less than 40 dB.
Drivers may be medically cleared for up to two years, with some exceptions that are determined by elements such as blood pressure and glucose levels. Whenever you need a DOT-physical completed, be sure to turn to your local Fastest Labs location.
When it comes to ensuring your potential and current employees have the physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of non-DOT jobs, physicals are one of the most common tools. Quality exams are key to not only preventing your employees from experiencing work injuries, but they can also work to protect the company from work-related lawsuits for injuries that could be prevented in the first place.
Some common types of physicals our team can perform include:
- Work Fitness Assessment – One of the most common assessments performed for a Non-DOT job-related physical, a work fitness assessment provides companies with information regarding an employee’s capabilities of performing a certain job.
- Fitness-for-Duty Examinations – Primarily used for companies where an employee is set to return to work from medical leave, this test informs the company knows whether the individual will be able to stay safe and productive based on the established health standards.
- Pre-Employment Physicals – Under the appropriate regulatory agencies, including the likes of DOT and OHSA, pre-employment physicals ensure the applicants or employees are medically and physically able to perform their designated roles.
Generally, all of the examinations, assessments, and tests can be used in hiring potential employees and passing on those who do not reflect that they have the physical capabilities needed to perform the essential duties of the job without risk of injury. At Fastest Labs, you can rest assured knowing that our team will deliver you and your team the quick and accurate results you need to ensure the safety of your employees and company.
The FastestLabs Promise
At Fastest Labs, we perform high-quality DOT and traditional physicals for both employees and employers. No matter your need, you can rest assured that our team will help walk you through the physical to get you the results you need – quick. With a safe and secure chain of custody, clean and comfortable labs, and high-quality testing services, you can rest assured that our team will make your next medical physical an easy experience.